Summer is just around the corner and the changing of seasons is a great time to make small changes to update your home. Here are some of the trends for summer 2020 and tips to get your home summer ready!
1. Change your window treatment. Take down heavy drapes and go for a lighter curtain or a bamboo shade. Make sure that you still have a way to block the light during peak times to keep cooling costs down.
2. Bring in some natural accessories. Wooden candlesticks or wooden trays are a fun and easy way to spice up a room. Try some pillows with a fun botanical print. Woven baskets are another great way to add some color and texture to a room, plus they are great for storing magazines, toys and such in a fun way.
3. Do a "mini spring cleaning." Lots of us have been spending extra time at home. Go through each room and declutter. Open up windows and clean out the bottoms. Clean the windows too! Store extra blankets and pillows from the cooler weather. Make sure that holiday decor and other seasonal items are packed away. Dust off baseboards.
4. Add green. Not only is green the hot color right now, but bringing green into your home is a great way to make your home feel like summer. Paint an accent piece in green, add a fun rug or actually bring green into your home with the addition of a couple of plants.
5. Move the furniture. I like to rearrange the rooms in my house with the change in seasons. It's also a great time to do it since you are decluttering and cleaning. Move larger pieces away from windows, create a more open space, add a mirror to reflect natural light throughout the room.
6. Go for a great seasonal scent. Nothing says summer like the smell of citrus. Use a diffuser and add some essential oils. Make a room freshener by adding a few drops of essential oil to a spray bottle of distilled water and a few drops of vodka (a preservative). Shake well and spray away.
7. Get your outdoor living area ready. Whether you have a huge outdoor deck or patio or a small apartment balcony get it summer ready with bold colored outdoor furniture, planters with vibrant flowers, or a great outdoor rug. Find a unique outdoor lantern or two for those cool summer nights where you just have to be outside.
When you are all done, sit back and relax with a glass of lemonade or iced tea and enjoy these last few weeks of spring knowing that you are summer ready!